Loading
.

Performing Arts

"Music at Kellett enjoys strong support from a large team of dedicated and skilled peripatetic teachers."

Music

It is our belief that all students should have the opportunity to be involved in music, whether it is an extra-curricular activity or strictly in a classroom situation.

The curriculum, activities and ensembles offered to students are pitched at different levels of performance and creativity, in order to best meet the students' needs. At the centre of the programme is the principle that music should be fun and full of enjoyment. The repertoire and materials are carefully selected to provide a relevant experience for our students.

All students, from Reception to Year 6, have a music lesson once a week with a specialist music teacher. The music programme is tied to the National Curriculum and focuses on the areas of Performing, Composing, Listening and Appreciating. All four of these areas are integrated into the programme from Reception all the way through the Preparatory years. All children are given the opportunity to sing and use classroom instruments throughout the curriculum music time.

Students begin recorder tuition in P3 in small, ability-graded groups. This tuition continues throughout Key Stage 2. There are also units of study on GarageBand, ukulele, Chinese music, African drumming to name a few.

We have several school choirs rehearsing each week. Auditions are held for P5 and P6 students to join Vocal Ensembles. At various times through the year we also rehearse a Parent/Staff Choir. For students who learn an orchestral instrument, auditions are held to join the School Band and String Ensemble. Other opportunities are iBand, Percussion Ensemble, Chinese Drumming and Recorder Consort.

Music at Kellett enjoys strong support from a large team of dedicated and skilled peripatetic teachers. Tuition is available in all orchestral instruments, piano, guitar and drum kit. Instrumental hire is also available for interested students.

As a member school of FOBISIA, we take a group of talented musicians to the annual FOBISIA Music Festival. This week-long event pools together young musicians from around the SE Asian region in order to tackle some more challenging pieces of repertoire. Additionally, we are invited to take students to the Preparatory Performing Arts Carnival.

Drama

Performance assemblies are held for every class in the Preparatory School. All children take part and over the course of their time at Kellett, each child’s confidence and skills grow. Students in Year 5 and Year 6 are encouraged to audition for our annual School Musical. Past productions have included: Bugsy Malone, Mulan Jr, Seussical Jr and The Music Man Jr.