Loading
.

Business Studies

""Students will think about how their learning applies to either their own business idea or working within an..."

Business Studies addresses a holistic overview of the study of business, and business decision-making. Students explore the four main functional areas of business – Accounting and Finance, Human Resources, Marketing and Production – through investigations into well-known businesses and current business news stories. Practical activities also bring the subject to life.

• YEAR 10 AND 11

Year: 10 and 11
    Subject: Business Studies
    Qualification: International GCSE Business Studies
    Examination Board: Edexcel
    Syllabus/ Specification: 4BSO
    Subject Code: 10Bs / 11Bs
    Hours: 3 hours per week

Details: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-business-studies-2009.html

Course Content

The International GCSE Business Studies course is designed to give students a sound understanding of business and the ability to use knowledge, skills and understanding appropriately in the context of international markets and the United Kingdom (UK).

Through the course students:

• Relate their learning to real business examples
    • Are aware of current issues which affect businesses, their operation and success, and how they adapt to change
    • Focus on current business practice
    • Understand the importance of seeing business issues and situations through different perspectives
    • Are aware that information communication technology is essential to business decision-making processes and success, and affects all functional areas of business

Overview of content

Year 10

• Business Activity and the Changing Environment – examines the objectives of businesses, the changing environment and the criteria for judging success. The focus is on the importance of having clear business objectives and how the business environment provides opportunities for, and imposes constraints upon, the pursuit of those objectives. 
    • Human Resources – looks at people in organisations focusing on their roles, relationships and management in business. 
    • Production – examines the way organisations use and manage resources to produce goods and services.

Year 11

• Accounting and Finance – explores the use of accounting and financial information as an aid to decision making.
    • Marketing – focuses on identifying and satisfying customer needs in a changing and competitive international environment.
    • Review of entire syllabus
    • Exam preparation and past paper review

Final Assessment

Examination (100%)

• Single tier of entry.
    • Two-hour examination paper set and marked by Edexcel.
    • The examination paper is divided into two sections – A and B. Students will be given compulsory short-answer, structured, data response and open-ended questions on a business-related context. Questions in both sections will be drawn from all areas of the subject content.
  • YEAR 12 AND 13

Year: 12 and 13
    Subject: Business Studies
    Qualification: International A Level (IAL)
    Examination Board: Edexcel
    Syllabus/ Specification: YBS01
    Details: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/business-studies.html
    Subject Code: 12Bs/13Bs
    Hours: 6 hours per week

Course Content

The Edexcel IAL in Business Studies is built around a core unit with an enterprise theme, to enable students to think of a new business idea and how they might research and develop it. Students will think about how their learning applies to their own business idea. The course will introduce students to international business, equipping them either to work in, or to manage, a business in an international context.

Through the course students:

• Investigate different types of business organisations which could be set up to develop and sell a product or service idea in a local, national or international marketplace. At IA2 level, students will study the ways in which companies grow, bearing in mind the markets in which companies are operating.
    • Be able to analyse numerical information to identify, for example, poor cash flow or labour productivity and the reasons for this.
    • Promote a holistic understanding of business through considering how a new business idea is developed, understanding how a business is managed, how its performance is analysed and how it could trade overseas.
    • Use both qualitative and quantitative methods to make justifiable decisions, taking into account opportunity cost.

Overview of content and assessment

Year 12

• IAS Unit 1: Business Enterprise 

This unit provides an introduction to business practice, the importance of the market and how businesses interact with customers and competitors. Students will learn about the role of the entrepreneur, market research techniques, the importance and use of finance, break-even analysis and how to measure and analyse business performance. They will also consider how the wider economic environment and stakeholders may affect businesses, large and small.

• Final Assessment (50% of the total IAS marks, 25% of the total IAL marks):

Examination of 1 hour and 30 minutes, consisting of supported multiple-choice questions and questions based on data.

• AS Unit 2: Business Structures and Processes

This unit covers the key functional areas of a business. Students will develop their understanding of how businesses relate to their customers and analyse change in their markets. The unit introduces students to business operations and develops their understanding of finance and why businesses may fail. Students will also consider how businesses manage their people effectively. 

Year 13 

• IA2 Unit 3: Strategic Business Decisions 

This unit develops the content of Unit 2 and examines the competitiveness of businesses through performance and non-performance indicators. Students will analyse corporate objectives and strategy on the basis of these indicators and on external influences to businesses. Students will assess the causes and effects of change on businesses and examine how companies can manage risk and grow effectively.

• Final Assessment (50% of the total IA2 marks, 25% of the total IAL marks):

Examination of 2 hours, consisting of questions based on data, including extended response questions.

• IA2 Unit 4: Business in a Global Context

This synoptic unit focuses on the world of international business, and considers change and growth in global economies. Students will examine the different factors businesses have to consider when operating in a global market. Students will also assess the impact of multinational corporations on the global economy.