Loading
.

Global Citizenship

"The Global Citizenship curriculum teaches students how to lead a safe, responsible and healthy lifestyle and to develop..."

This subject is an adaptation of the UK Department for Education’s Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (PSHEE) and Citizenship programmes of study. The Global Citizenship curriculum teaches students how to lead a safe, responsible and healthy lifestyle and to develop effective relationships within both the family unit and society. 

The course will help to prepare students for the demands of teenage years and adulthood. It is designed to complement and not replace parental guidance and discussion regarding the topics studied. Look out for the updates that may aid discussion with your child in the e-bulletins throughout the school year.

The Year 7-11 Global Citizenship Programme has been organised according to a range of ‘Literacies’ which enable students to identify which area of the subject they are currently covering and provide them with a greater ability to reflect on how this is impacting their learning, personal development and wellbeing. These Literacies and their main aims are listed below; 

Year 7 and Year 8:

• Personal Literacy to focus on personal, social, health and education.
• Global Literacy to focus on aspects of religious education, philosophy, charity and service and global issues.

Year 9 to Year 11:

In addition to Personal Literacy and Global Literacy they will also cover:
• Skills Literacy to support students with revision skills and techniques and preparation skills for transition into IGCSE/A Level years.
• Careers Literacy to support students in making the correct choices as they prepare to move into the next level of education. To support students with careers planning and work experience. This work is also supported by the services provided by Futurewise. 

The literacies have been designed to tie into whole school initiatives such as Box of Hope and to enable a range of outside providers to contribute to the lessons. The Literacies have been organised into eight week locks, with room for the programme of study to turn its attention to current global affairs when applicable throughout the year.

Please click on the following link here  to access the Global Citizenship Curriculum Map

• YEAR 7 TO 9
    • Hours per week: 1
    • Subject Code: 7Gc / 8Gc / 9Gc
    • Course description

Year 7 Units

• Bullying including cyber bullying and cyber safety (Digital Citizenship)
    • Family - types of and conflict cause and resolution
    • Exploding stereotypes of the elderly
    • First Aid
    • Children's Rights
    • Cultural Perspectives on Manners and Etiquette

Year 8 Units

• Buddhism
    • Review of Cyber Safety (Digital Citizenship)
    • Environment
    • Judaism
    • Addiction
    • Sexual Awareness

Year 9 Units

• Launchpad- options choices and careers exploration
    • Sexual Responsibility - an introduction
    • Food and Body Image
    • Personal Safety including Online Identity Theft and Your Online Image (Digital Citizenship)
    • Animal Rights

Assessment

Global Citizenship is not formally assessed.

• Year 7 to 9 - Digital Citizenship
    • Hours per week: Incorporated into Global Citizenship
    • Subject Code: 7Gc / 8Gc / 9Gc

Course description

Digital Citizenship is an area that is constantly evolving. As part of the Global Citizenship curriculum, each year group will focus on areas of Digital Citizenship. This area of the curriculum is under continuous review and adjusted according to current thinking.

To help parents discuss cyber issues with their child, here is a “road map” of the objectives that we strive for our students to meet, in order to help them make safe and responsible decisions when using technology.

Parents of students who join Kellett after the Year 7 Digital Citizenship units have been taught are asked to work through selected cybersafety resources, which are provided on a thumb drive.

Further information and resources to support such conversations will be posted in the Senior School e-bulletin as each unit starts throughout the academic year.

Year 7 Unit

Bullying including cyber bullying and cyber safety (Digital Citizenship)

Students will be able to:

• To be able to identify characteristics particular to bullying and cyber bullying
    • To know what different forms of technology are misused, and how, by cyber bullies
    • To know how to identify a bully and consider some reasons why people bully
    • To know that anyone can be the victim of bullying
    • To understand the significance of the role of the bystander in perpetuating bullying
    • To understand the impact of bullying and cyber bullying on the victim and empathise with victims of bullying
    • To know some strategies for bullying and cyber bullying prevention
    • To consider how a victim of bullying should (and should not) respond to bullying
    • To understand the consequences of cyber bullying for the cyber bullies
    • To apply all learning about an individual’s role in cyber bullying to a virtual school

Year 8 Unit

Review of Cyber Safety

Students will be able to:

• To review types of bullying, bullying prevention and strategies
    • To create an educational drama for showing in assembly to Year Seven
    • To rehearse and perform the educational drama created last lesson
    • To perform the drama(s) to Year Seve

Year 9 Unit

Personal Safety including Online Identity Theft and Your Online Image

Students will be able to:

• To know how identity can be stolen online
    • To be able to communicate how people can avoid online identity theft
    • To analyse situations in which teens' social networking profiles are viewed by authority figures
    • To describe four characteristics of social networking sites that causes them to be very public spaces
    • To use creative thinking to find ways to deal with unintended online audiences
  • Year 8 to 10 - Sex and Relationships Education
    • Hours per week: Incorporated into Global Citizenship
    • Subject Code: 8Gc / 9Gc / 10Gc

Course Description

As part of the Global Citizenship curriculum, Years Eight to Ten will focus on areas of Sex and Relationships Education. This part of the Global Citizenship curriculum develops students’ skills so that they may make informed choices about their behaviour when in an emotional and/or sexual relationship, and feel confident and competent about acting on these choices. It is a means by which they are helped to protect themselves against unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections. 

To help parents discuss issues relating to this area of the curriculum with their child, here is a “road map” of the objectives that we strive for our students to meet, in order to help them make safe and responsible decisions if or when they embark on an emotional and/or sexual relationship. Further information and resources to support such conversations will be posted in the Senior School e-bulletin as each unit starts throughout the academic year. 

Year 8 Unit objectives

Students will be able:

• To consider how our emotions change as we go through puberty and how to manage these changes.
    • To explore how we feel about friends getting together, kissing and splitting up
    • To understand that relationships are not only heterosexual 
    • To be able to talk about homosexuality maturely 
    • To recognise that growing up gay is difficult
    • To understand how we, as individuals, can make growing up gay easier on others 

Year 9 Unit objectives

Students will be able:

• To consider conditions for emotional and legal readiness for a sexual relationship
    • To continue to explore legal and emotional considerations before beginning a sexual relationship
    • To know the definition and purpose of contraception
    • To understand that there are different types of contraception with different levels of protection against pregnancy and infection
    • To consider the short and long-term consequences of teenagers having babies
    • To recognise the responsibilities associated with being pregnant and having a newborn baby
    • To research and present what an STI is, how they can be caused, recognised and prevented 

Year 10 Unit objectives

Students will be able:

• To review stages of fertilisation and pregnancy
    • To find out how pregnancy and birth changes teenage life
    • To empathise with teenage mums/dads through role-play
    • To learn the definition of abortion
    • To understand some of the reasons why people both support and criticise abortion
    • To consider cultural, religious, moral and medical perspectives on abortion
    • To know the causes and consequences of some STIs
    • To understand how to prevent the contraction of STIs
    • To gain strategies for responding to excuses for not using a condom.
    • To practise putting on a condom so that it is effective as a safe sex strategy. 

Assessment

Sex and Relationships Education is not formally assessed. 

• YEAR 10 AND 11
    • Qualification: N/A
    • Examination Board: N/A
    • Syllabus/ Specification: N/A
    • Subject Code: 10Gc / 11Gc
    • Hours: 1 hour per week
    • Details: N/A

Course Content:

This subject is an adaptation of the UK Department for Education’s Personal, social, health and economic education (PSHEE) and Citizenship programmes of study. The Global Citizenship curriculum teaches students how to lead a safe, responsible and healthy lifestyle and to develop effective relationships within both the family unit and society. The course will help to prepare students for the demands of teenage years and adulthood. It is designed to complement and not replace parental guidance and discussion regarding the topics studied. Look out for the updates that may aid discussion with your child in the e-bulletins throughout the school year.

We take full advantage of opportunities to enrich the curriculum, whilst keeping curriculum visits to a minimum during these important examination years. For example, Year Ten will enjoy in-house First Aid training from the school’s Student Welfare department, which also supports those who are undertaking the Hong Kong Award for Young People (not part of the Global Citizenship curriculum). Year Eleven will receive Annette Malcolm from the Preparatory School campus in Pok Fu Lam, who will talk with them as part of their study of Christianity, and will embark on work placements as part of their careers research, after their public examinations.

Year 10

• Global Conflicts- causes, consequences and resolution
    • Current Affairs Exchange with SAI International School in India
    • ISCO Futurewise Profiling
    • First Aid
    • Sexual Responsibility 

Year 11

• Careers Exploration
    • Inspiring People
    • Islam
    • Christianity
    • Mental Health
    • Workplace Research

Assessment

• YEAR 12 AND 13
    • Qualification: May lead to an A Level in Extended Project for example
    • Examination Board: Edexcel
    • Syllabus/ Specification: ZPJ30
    • Subject Code: 12GC / 13GC

The Programme’s literacies help prepare students for the world beyond school.

Sixth Form Induction: Students will be orientated into the expectations of Kellett’s Sixth Form whilst equipping them to deal with the demands of A-level courses.

Sport, Health and Fitness Literacy: Students participate in a weekly Sport programme and develop a thorough understanding of good body stewardship.

Critical Thinking and Philosophical Literacy: Students question knowledge, investigate ethics and explore philosophical argument. 

Statistical Literacy: Students develop an understanding of how numbers and statistics are used to support a point of view and influence opinion.

Business and Entrepreneurial Literacy: Students explore macro-financial issues and personal finance, consider how to set up and build a business, learn to identify business opportunities and discover the qualities of an entrepreneur. 

Public Speaking: Students practise how to be persuasive and how to speak with impact. 

Digital and Media Literacy: Students explore and make effective use of the many different channels of information that now dominate society 

Group and Team Dynamics Literacy: Students explore group, team, leadership and follower-ship theory and application. 

Research Literacy: Students make use of research methods when writing extended pieces using primary and secondary sources.