Loading
.

Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)

The Extended Project is a rich and varied qualification which allows students to undertake research based projects in an area of choice.  Welcomed by universities for its emphasis on research, analysis and independent learning, the qualification is recognised as a gateway into the skills required for success in Higher Education and the world of work.

Learners begin by working out which area they are most interested in pursuing: Dissertation, Performance, Artefact or Investigation. There is no limit to what the students can pursue, resulting in an intellectual freedom and passion for their chosen topic. Having finalized a project title with their given mentor, the students then undertake extensive research in that area. Following this, they move into the development and planning stage before ‘realising’ the project outcome. The final stage is one of reflection where the students write an evaluation of the process and perform an oral presentation to peers and teachers. Throughout the project, students keep a detailed Activity Log which is highly reflective of the project management process.

The bulk of the project is completed independently, although students are allocated a mentor who will guide them through the process. Students will also receive instruction in research, project management and presentation skills.

• Year 12 and 13 - 2015 onwards

Subject: Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)

Qualification: Level 3 Extended Project (equivalent to half an A Level in demand and UCAS points)

Examination Board: Edexcel    

Syllabus/ Specification: Extended Project Qualification

Subject Code: ZPJ30    Hours per week: One 

Details: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-project-qualification/level-3.html

Year 12

• Discuss ideas with teacher /mentor
    • Finalise an idea and present a detailed Project Proposal Form
    • Begin reflective Activity Log
    • Undertake research
    • Possibly develop and realise the project

Year 13

• Continue to work with mentor on project development
    • Complete planning stage and ‘realise’ the project outcome
    • Write evaluation
    • Complete oral presentation (by February)

Assessment

Internally assessed, externally moderated by Edexcel.